Mar 26, 2018
AUBURNDALE, Fla. -- The local rivals played in Florida instead of Waterville and the Colby College baseball team came away with a 7-2 victory over Thomas College behind the pitching of first-year Frank Driscoll on Monday.
The Mules improve to 2-3 overall heading into Tuesday's 11 a.m. doubleheader with St. Olaf. The Terriers dropped to 2-9 overall.
By the numbers
* Driscoll (pictured) had a terrific collegiate debut, allowing no earned runs over six innings and giving up just four hits. He struck out eight, walked two, and had 69 of his 96 pitches go for strikes.
* Jackson Ward earned the save with three innings of work. He allowed just one hit, struck out one, and walked none. He threw 19 strikes on his 29 pitches.
* Colby captain Matt Treveloni kept up his hot hitting with a double, triple, and five RBI. He is batting .500 after five games and has a slugging percentage of 1.056.
* Ward also contributed two hits, one run, and a stolen base. Keenan Iuliano smacked a home run and scored twice, Ryan Hecht had his first two collegiate hits and scored a run, and Andrew Russell had one hit and scored twice. William Wessman and Tyler Mulberry also had hits.
* The Mules scored three times in the third inning to take the lead for good. Ward scored from third on a double play to bring in the first run. Treveloni added a two-run triple to plate Russell and Iuliano.
* Treveloni was at it again with a bases loaded double in the seventh inning. His hit scored Russell, Wessman, and Hecht.
* Iuliano homered to left field for Colby's final run.