Apr 14, 2018
Photos by Ashley Conti
WATERVILLE, Maine -- The Colby College baseball team held a 1-0 lead after three innings only to see Trinity College take a 13-1 win in NESCAC East play Saturday.
The Bantams also took a 6-3 victory in the second game of the doubleheader.
Trinity College had 15 hits in the first game and then received some solid pitching from Dan Marini and Max Barsamian in the nightcap.
The Bantams are 12-10 overall and 7-2 in the NESCAC East, while the Mules fall to 4-15 overall and 1-5 in the league.
Game 1 highlights
* The Mules led 1-0 after three innings when Matt Treveloni's RBI single brought in Andrew Russell, who had tripled with one out.
* Matt Koperniak had three hits, two RBI, and two runs for the Bantams. Cooper Mooney drove in three runs, scored three times, and had two hits. Alex Rodriguez also drove in three runs and had two hits. Johnny Stamatis scored three times and had two hits.
* Treveloni led the Mules with two hits and an RBI. Russell, William Wessman, Will Phillips, and George Schmidt also had hits.
* Tyler Forgione and Mooney had RBI singles to score the first two runs of the fourth inning. Rodriguez had a two-run single to put Trinity up 4-1 after four innings.
* Koperniak's two-run homer run and RBI singles from Christian Orsini and Rodriguez helped the Bantams score four more runs in the fifth inning.
* Trinity pulled away for good with five runs in the sixth inning. Mooney had a two-run double and Eric Thronson had an RBI double in the inning.
* Alex Shafer pitched a complete game, striking out seven, walking nine, and scattering six hits for the Bantams.
Game 2 highlights
* Stamatis had three hits and scored a run, while Orsini had two hits, one run, and one RBI. Brendan Pierce hit a solo home run and Carter Snyder had an RBI triple.
* Matt Mitchell went 2-for-2 and scored for Colby. Wessman was 1-for-2 and also had a run. Tommy McGee also had one hit and scored.
* Dan Marini started and struck out four and walked one in 4.1 innings of work. Max Barsamian went 3.2 innings and allowed just one hit while striking out three.
* The Bantams went up 5-0 in the top of the first inning. Mooney had an RBI ground out and Orsini drove in a run with a single for a 2-0 lead. Snyder had his triple to bring in Orsini and then scored on Pierce's home run.
* The Mules had a lone run in the fourth inning when Wessman was hit by a pitch and moved to second on Andrew Sterup's single. Keenan Iuliano followed with a single to plate Wessman.
* Rodriguez had a sacrifice fly to score Mooney with Trinity's final run in the eighth inning.
* The Mules made it interesting in the bottom of the ninth inning with two runs. Mitchell, who had singled earlier in the inning, scored when Russell was hit by a pitch with the bases loaded. Jackson Ward added a sacrifice fly to bring in McGee with the final run of the game.