Apr 19, 2018
WATERVILLE, Maine -- Colby College's Will Phillips went 4-for-5, scored twice, and drove in a run to help the Mules defeat local rival Thomas College for the third time this season on Thursday at Coombs Field.
Colby scored three in the first, two in the fourth, and one in the ninth on the way to a 6-2 victory. The Mules beat the Terriers once in Florida and twice at Coombs Field. Thursday's game was scheduled to be played at Thomas, but was moved to Colby's turf field due to poor field conditions on the Terriers' home field.
By the numbers
* Phillips, who also had a stolen base, raised his season average to .328.
* William Wessman and Tommy McGee both had one hit and two RBI for the Mules (5-15 overall). Matt Treveloni, who is hitting .387, had a hit and drove in a run. Ben Coleman scored and had one hit.
* The two teams combined to use 12 pitchers (6 each), but the game still went by at a brisk 2 hours, 15 minutes.
* Matt Garcia entered the game in the fifth inning and picked up the victory. He allowed just one hit, struck out two, and walked one.
* Taimu Ito, Patrick Carbone, Dan Schoenfeld, and Jackson Ward all threw one inning of relief and did not allow an earned run.
* The Mules scored three unearned runs in the first inning to take the lead for good. Wessman reached on a fielder's choice and brought in Phillips, who had led off the game with a single. Keenan Iuliano reached on an error and Ward walked to load the bases. McGee's single up the middle brought in Wessman and Iuliano for a 3-0 lead.
* After Thomas got a run back in the second inning, Colby pushed the lead to 5-1 with a pair of runs in the fourth inning. Coleman led off with a walk, stole second, and scored on a Phillips single to center field. Phillips moved to third on an out and came home on Treveloni's infield single.
* The Terriers cut the margin to 5-2 in the eighth inning, but Colby answered back with a lone run in the top of the ninth. The Mules were batting first since it was originally a home game for Thomas (3-24). Andrew Russell (pictured), who reached by error, scored off a Wessman single to left field.
* The Mules hit the road to Tufts University for a single game Friday at 3 p.m. Colby and the Jumbos play a doubleheader Saturday at noon.
Photos by Ashley Conti