Mar 24, 2019
AUBURNDALE, Fla. -- Colby College pitching allowed just one earned run in two games Sunday and the Mules have scored 25 runs in the first three games after 9-2 and 3-1 wins over University of Minnesota at Morris in Florida.
The Mules are 3-0 overall heading into Monday's 1 p.m. game with St. Thomas, another Minnesota school.
Game 1 highlights
* First-year Cabot Maher (pictured) went 4-for-4, scored two runs, and drove in two. Fellow first-year Dylan Nastri added two hits and drove in two.
* Matt Mitchell and Chris Romano both had two hits and each had a double. Mitchell also walked twice and scored a run, while Romano scored and drove in one run.
* Andrew Russell had a hit, walked twice, and scored a run for the Mules. Will Phillips and Jonah Katz both had one hit, one run, and a walk. Jackson Ward also scored a run and walked.
* Paul Ariola worked five innings and allowed no earned runs. He scattered four hits, struck out five, and walked twice. Cameron Garfield pitched the final two innings, giving up one hit and striking out two without allowing a walk.
* The Mules scored three times in the first inning, with Maher starting it out with an RBI triple to bring in William Wessman. After a walk to Andrew Russell, Maher scored and Russell went to second on a passed ball. Nastri followed with a single to make it 3-0.
* Colby went up 6-2 after two innings when Ward led off with a walk and scored on an RBI double by Romano. Mitchell singled to bring in Romano and promptly stole second base. Mitchell later scored on a single by Nastri.
* Jonah Katz led off the third inning with a single and stole second base. Phillips ripped a triple to bring in Katz and then scored on Mitchell's double for an 8-2 margin.
* Maher led off the fourth inning with a single and later scored on Nastri's single.
Game 2 highlights
* While the Mules took advantage of eight walks in the opener, Colby had no walks in the second game.
* Patrick Carbone allowed just one earned over five innings to win the second game. He struck out three and walked three. Will Cohen pitched a perfect two innings to earn the save, striking out one batter.
* Minnesota-Morris scored its lone run in the second inning, but Colby had all three runs in the fourth. Wessman doubled with one out and moved to second on a wild pitch. Maher continued his hot hitting by driving in Wessman with a single. After Maher moved up on another wild pitch, Mitchell singled to bring in the second run. Mitchell stole second base and moved to third on a balk. That led Nastri to hit a sacrifice fly to bring in the third run.
* Taimu Ito, Romano, Nastri, Russell, Maher, and Wessman had Colby's six hits in the game.