Mar 25, 2019
AUBURNDALE, Fla. -- Dylan Nastri tripled to lead off the bottom of the ninth inning and scored on Ryan Hecht's single to help the Colby College baseball team stay unbeaten with an 11-10 win over St. Thomas College in Florida on Monday.
The Mules improved to 4-0 overall heading into a doubleheader with Union College on Tuesday starting at 1:30 p.m.
By the numbers
* Will Phillips had a double while going 4-for-4, walked, scored three times, and drove in a run for Colby.
* William Wessman ripped two doubles, drove in four runs, walked, was hit by a pitch, and scored a run. Nastri had the triple and a double among his three hits and scored twice. Jackson Ward finished with two hits, two RBI, and a run scored. Hecht (pictured) drove in a pair of runs, Matt Mitchell was a patient hitter with three walks and a run scored, Mark Sunoo had a hit and one run, and Chris Romano had one hit, a walk, scored one run, and drove in a run.
* First-year John Doyle had a terrific relief appearance to earn his first collegiate victory. He went 2.1 innings, allowed no hits, struck out three, and walked none.
* Cameron Garfield worked before Doyle and settled things down for the Mules. He went 1.2 innings, allowed no hits, struck out two, and walked one.
* The Mules scored at least one run in the first five innings. Phillips led off with a single in the first, Mitchell walked, and Wessman followed with a two-run double.
* Colby added a lone run in the second inning when Wessman brought in Romano with a sacrifice fly to center field. Romano had walked and took third on a double by Phillips.
* Sunoo led off the third inning with a single, Ward followed with another single, and Romano brought in Sunoo with a third single. Phillips also singled to plate Ward.
* Colby did the job with the little things in the fourth inning. Nastri was hit by a pitch, Hecht walked, and then Tyler Mulberry executed a sacrifice bunt to move the runners. Ward then did his job with a two-run single.
* The last two runs before the heroics in the ninth inning started with a Phillips single and a Mitchell sacrifice bunt. Wessman walked and Russell was hit by a pitch to load the bases. Nastri had an RBI walk and Hecht drove in the other run on a fielder's choice.