Sep 13, 2017
WATERVILLE, Maine -- Georgia Cassidy scored her first three collegiate goals in the opening 7:42 of the contest to lift the Colby College field hockey team to a 6-1 win over Thomas College on Wednesday night at Bernatchez Field.
The Mules improve to 1-1 overall heading into Saturday's 11 a.m. home opener against 13th-ranked Williams College on the new Bill Alfond Field.
* Cassidy scored her three goals at 1:36, 3:33, and 7:42. The sophomore transfer scored first off an assist from first-year Delaney Keithley, who had her first collegiate point.
* Holli Olson (pictured) had her first collegiate goal and assist in the game for the Mules. Olson assisted on Cassidy's second goal, while first-year Merel van Gijzen had her first collegiate point with an assist on the third goal.
* Olson scored unassisted at 12:40 for a 4-0 lead, while Kallie Hutchinson also tallied unassisted with 8:43 left in the opening half.
* The Terriers spoiled the shutout just 2:53 into the second half on a goal by Kelci Faukingham.
* Hutchinson scored her second goal of the game at 59:16.
By the numbers
* The Mules allowed just six Thomas shots and scored on six of their 19 shots. Colby had a slight edge in penalty corners (8-6).
* Riley Whitmyer stopped two shots in goal for the Mules (1-1 overall). .
* Colby will play a second NESCAC team in the rankings Saturday. The Mules faced second-ranked Tufts last Saturday.