Oct 06, 2018
WATERVILLE, Maine -- Eliza Mell (pictured) scored the biggest goal of her collegiate career and Georgia Cassidy played a part in both goals for Colby College field hockey in a 2-1 win over Wesleyan University in NESCAC play Saturday at Bill Alfond Field.
The Mules improve to 6-4 overall and 2-4 in the league, while Wesleyan drops to 3-7 and 0-6 in the conference.
* Mell scored with just 40 seconds left in regulation when she put a ball in during a scrum in front of the cage. Cassidy had her ninth assist of the season on the play.
* After the Cardinals took a 1-0 halftime lead, Cassidy answered for the Mules at 4:12 of the second half on a penalty corner. Delaney Keithley took the free hit and Cassidy knocked in her ninth goal of the year. She ranks third in the conference in scoring (27), tied for second in assists, and tied for fourth in goals.
* The Cardinals' Nikki Gerjarusak scored at 11:28 of the first half on an open shot at the top of the circle.
By the numbers
* Colby goalkeeper Riley Whitmyer stopped seven shots and Wesleyan keeper Delaney Wood made five saves.
* The Mules had a 12-9 shot advantage and a 10-9 margin in penalty corners.
* Colby is back in action Sunday at 1 p.m. against fifth-ranked Bowdoin College.