Jan 10, 2018
CHESTNUT HILL, Mass. -- Colby College's Sam Jefferson was hot from all over the floor with 27 points to help the Mules to an 87-79 non-conference men's basketball win over Pine Manor College on Wednesday night.
The Mules improve to 8-5 overall and will be back in action Thursday at home against University of Maine at Farmington at 7 p.m.
By the numbers
* Jefferson (pictured) was 9-for-14 from the field, 4-of-7 from 3-point range, and made five of his six free throws. He also had five rebounds, two assists, and a blocked shot.
* Dean Weiner, the NESCAC's leading rebounder, had a double-double with 11 points, 12 rebounds, and three assists for the Mules. Wallace Tucker made all four of his 3-point shots on the way to 16 points and three assists, while Sean Gilmore was 3-for-3 from the field and made both of his free throws for eight points.
* The Mules shot 53.7 percent (29-for-54) from the field as a team The Gators stayed in the game by committing just seven turnovers.
* Pine Manor had five players in double figures, including Kiano Monterro with 15 points.
* The Mules took a wild victory over Pine Manor last year in the season opener at Wadsworth Gymnasium on a last second shot by Ty Williams. The Mules took control much earlier this year.
* Ethan Schlager hit a 3-point shot to give Colby a 21-9 lead just 7:13 into the contest. Tucker added a three of his own for a 38-22 margin on the way to a 48-33 lead at intermission.
* Colby opened up a 70-50 lead in the second half, but the Gators used an 11-0 run to get back in the game. Pine Manor got as close as seven points at 75-68 with 4:36 to play.