Jan 11, 2018
WATERVILLE, Maine -- Sam Jefferson started and finished strong on the way to 21 points for the Colby College men's basketball team in a 79-71 non-conference win over University of Maine at Farmington on Thursday night at Wadsworth Gymnasium.
The Mules, who took a win over Pine Manor College on Wednesday, improve to 9-5 overall. The Beavers, who led in the second half, dropped to 4-9 overall.
By the numbers
* Jefferson was 7-for-13 from 3-point range and scored the Mules' first nine points of the game. He also had three 3-point shots in the final 3:30 of the contest. Jefferson had 27 points in the win against Pine Manor.
* Pat Dickert sparked the Mules in the second half and finished with 10 points, eight rebounds, and three assists. Matt Hanna had 12 points and four assists, while Ethan Schlager finished with nine points, six rebounds, and three assists. Dean Weiner was plagued with foul problems, but still had eight points, eight rebounds, five blocked shots, and four assists. Alex Dorion made all three of his 3-point shots for nine points and Sean Gilmore (pictured) added a pair of blocked shots and six points.
* Maine-Farmington had all five starters in double figures, including 21 points on 9-for-11 free throw shooting and eight rebounds by Milani Hicks.
* Riley Robinson added 13 points and six rebounds, while Eric Berry also had 13 points and finished with three assists. Issac Witham had 10 points and six assists and teammate Amir Moss had 10 points.
* The Mules had a 40-34 rebounding advantage, but the Beavers stayed in the game by shooting 14-for-22 from the foul line. The Mules were just 3-of-5 from the free-throw line.
* Colby opened up a 19-4 lead in the opening six minutes of the game, but the Beavers settled down and slowly cut into the lead. The Mules led just 39-36 at halftime.
* The Beavers took their first lead of the game at 54-53 on a jumper by Hicks with 14:58 to play. UMF led by as much as four points at 61-57 with 9:55 to go.
* With the score 65-65, Jefferson hit a 3-point shot to put Colby up for good. Gilmore scored inside and Jefferson nailed another long range bomb to make it 73-65 with 4:24 remaining.
* Jefferson, with the Mules up 73-67, hit two more 3-point shots to push the margin to 79-68.