Jan 13, 2019
HARTFORD, Conn. -- Despite 17 points apiece from Alex Dorion and Ronan Schwarz, the Colby College men's basketball team suffered a tough 62-60 setback at the buzzer to Trinity College in NESCAC play Sunday.
The Mules are 11-4 overall and 1-2 in the league, while Trinity is 11-5 and 2-2 in the conference.
By the numbers
* Schwarz (pictured) was 7-for-13 from the field, 2-of-3 from 3-point range, had six rebounds, three assists, and two steals. He hit some key baskets in the final minutes of the game.
* Dorion was 4-of-6 from 3-point range and added three assists. Wallace Tucker added 10 points and Sam Jefferson scored eight for the Mules.
* Joe Bell came off the bench with 15 points, six rebounds, and two steals for the Bantams.
* The two teams combined for just 19 turnovers.
* Trinity first-year Anthony Kelley had a finger roll layup at the buzzer after taking an inbounds pass and racing toward the basket.
* There were two lead changes and two ties in the final 1:30 of play. The Mules went up 56-54 when Ty Williams nailed a jumper and Schwarz followed with a 3-point shot.
* Bell completed a 3-point play to give the Bantams the lead back at 57-56. However, Schwarz came up big again with a drive to the basket for a 58-57 margin with 47 seconds remaining.
* Colby forced a miss on the other end, but Trinity got the offensive rebound and Christian Porydzy nailed a 3-point shot with 20 seconds remaining.
* Trailing 60-58, Dorion was fouled on a 3-point attempt with seven seconds left. He made the first two free throws to tie the game and then missed the third after a Bantam timeout.
* Colby had a terrific start to the game, leading 10-0 and 19-16 before settling for a 35-34 halftime lead.
* Colby will play host to Maine Maritime at 7:30 p.m Tuesday.