Jan 02, 2018
BIDDEFORD, Maine -- The 14th-ranked Colby College men's hockey team had two goals from Mario Benicky and battled back from a 4-1 deficit, but University of New England added an empty net goal and held on for a 5-3 win on Tuesday night.
The Mules fall to 6-3 overall heading into Friday's big home game against 13th-ranked Hamilton College at 7 p.m. Colby finished second in the league standings last year behind the Continentals.
* After a scoreless first period, Colby struck first on Michael Rudolf's third goal of the season from Billy Overby and Phil Klitirinos at 1:30 of the second period.
* The Nor'easters scored four goals in a span of 10 minutes, 10 seconds to take the lead for good in the second period. UNE had two of the four goals on the power play.
* Colby went into the second intermission down 4-2 after Mario Benicky tallied with just 54 seconds remaining off assists from John Rourke and Dan Dupoint.
* Benicky (pictured) scored his second of the game and his sixth on the season at 6:50 of the third period to put the Mules down by just a goal. Rourke and Spencer Hewson had assists.
* The Mules had a number of shots on goal in the final 10 minutes, but Brady Fleurent scored an empty net goal with just nine seconds remaining.
By the numbers
* Colby goaltender Andrew Tucci stopped 22 shots, while Tate Sproxton made 28 saves for UNE.
* The Mules had a 31-27 advantage in shots.