Jan 28, 2018
FITCHBURG, Mass. -- Andrew Tucci made 28 saves and the Colby College men's hockey team jumped out to a 5-0 lead after the first period on the way to a 6-2 win over Fitchburg State University on Sunday at Wallace Civic Center.
The Mules improve to 9-8 overall and will play again Tuesday at home against University of Southern Maine at 7 p.m. The Falcons dropped to 10-6-3 overall.
* Kienan Scott scored the first of his two goals just 1:11 into the opening period from Nick O'Connor.
* Phil Klitirinos also scored two goals, including his first at the 5:01 mark from Michael Decker and John Rourke.
* Cam MacDonald scored his ninth of the season to make it 3-0 from Thomas Stahlhuth and Justin Grillo at 9:42. Fitchburg State changed goaltenders after the score.
* Zack Hale tallied just 42 seconds after the goalie change off assists from Spencer Hewson (pictured) and Dan Dupont.
* Klitirinos scored his fifth of the year from Michael Decker and Hewson with just 1:07 left in the opening period. Decker had his 10th assist of the season.
* After the Falcons scored the lone goal of the second period, Scott scored his seventh of the season from Hewson and Klitirinos at 4:31 of the third period. Hewson, who had assists on the final three goals, has nine on the season and Klitirinos is up to a team-best 14.
By the numbers
* The Mules have played Fitchburg State twice and own two wins. The Mules took an 8-3 win over the Falcons last year at Alfond Rink.
* Tucci had 13 saves in the opening period to earn the victory.
* Colby was 3-for-6 on the power play and had a 41-30 advantage in shots.