Dec 07, 2018
NEW LONDON, Conn. -- The Colby College men's hockey team exploded for eight goals and Andrew Tucci recorded his second straight shutout in an 8-0 NESCAC road win at Connecticut College on Friday night.
The Mules are unbeaten in their last five games (3-0-2) and stand at 3-2-2 overall and 1-2-1 in the conference. The Camels drop to 2-5-1 overall and 0-4-1 in the league.
* Nick O'Connor scored a shorthanded goal at 10:13 of the opening period in what turned out to be the game-winning goal. A Connecticut College defenseman was attempting to take a slap shot from just inside the blue line when O'Connor reached in and knocked the puck away. O'Connor raced down the ice on the breakaway for the first goal.
* Justin Grillo scored his fourth of the season at 15:53 of the opening period for a 2-0 lead at intermission. Logan Clarke, off to a fine start to his rookie season, had his third assist. Austen Halpin had the other assist on the score.
* O'Connor scored his second goal and his sixth of the season just 40 seconds into the second period to give the Mules a 3-0 lead. Thomas Stahlhuth, a co-captain with O'Connor, scored from Michael Thomas and Zack Hale at 4:55 for a commanding 4-0 margin.
* Spencer Hewson (pictured) scored his first goal of the season at 14:20 on the power play off an assist from Billy Overby. Taking a 5-0 lead into the third period, Overby scored his first goal of the season from O'Connor at 6:28.
* Mike Morrissey was set up by Brendan Murphy and Thomas for the Mules' seventh goal at 10:30 and Zack Hale scored on a two-man advantage off a pass from Overby for the final score.
By the numbers
* Tucci had 25 saves after blanking Saint Anselm for his first collegiate shutout Tuesday. He has not allowed a goal in the last 129 minutes, 29 seconds.
* Morrissey was Colby's top face-off man with seven wins in 10 attempts.
* Colby heads to Tufts University for a 4 p.m. game Saturday.