Oct 06, 2018
WATERVILLE, Maine -- The Colby College men's soccer team won for the second time this week and pushed its unbeaten streak to three games with a big 1-0 win over Wesleyan University in NESCAC play Saturday.
The Mules moved to 5-3-2 overall and 2-2-2 in the conference while playing in front of a Family Homecoming Weekend crowd. The Cardinals dropped to 3-6 and 2-4 in the league.
* The two teams appeared to be going to halftime with a 0-0 tie until first-year Ryan Seaman made a nice run on the left side. Seaman caught up with a pass, took it toward the end line, and had a left-footed cross bounce off a Wesleyan defender and then hit his hand while in the penalty area.
* Colby's David Howarth (pictured) stepped up and buried the penalty kick to the lower left corner as Wesleyan goalkeeper Chris Franklin dove towards his left. The PK came with just 1:11 left to intermission.
* Colby's defense of Grady Jendzejec, Garrett Dickey, Graham Pugh, and Wyett MacDonald kept Wesleyan off the scoreboard the rest of the way.
By the numbers
* Colby goalkeeper Dan Carlson earned the shutout with five saves. Franklin had four stops for the Cardinals.
* Wesleyan had a 13-8 shot advantage, but the Mules had a 7-5 margin in corner kicks.
* Colby plays another NESCAC home game Tuesday at 3 p.m. against Bowdoin College.