Jan 05, 2019
WATERVILLE, Maine -- Cierra San Roman earned her second straight shutout and the Colby College women's hockey team stayed unbeaten in six straight games with another 2-0 victory over Wesleyan University in NESCAC play Saturday.
The Mules, now 5-2-3 overall and 4-2 in the NESCAC, also took a 2-0 win against the Cardinals (3-6 overall, 1-3 NESCAC) at Alfond Rink on Friday night.
By the numbers
* San Roman (pictured) made 21 saves, including 10 in the second period when Colby took the lead. She is 4-1-1 overall this season, ranks third in the league in save percentage (.955) and fourth in goals against average (1.16).
* The Mules had a 32-21 advantage in shots. Wesleyan goalie Allegra Grant finished with 30 saves.
* After a second straight day with a scoreless first period, Colby went ahead for good on Aimely Michaud-Nolan's second goal of the season. Tess Dupre took a shot that was saved by Grant, but Michaud-Nolan was at the left post to score the game-winning goal at 9:12. Cassidy Holzer also had an assist on the play.
* Wesleyan went with the attacker, but really never had a great opportunity to score over the final 1:45.
* The Mules added an insurance goal with just six seconds remaining. With a face-off between Wesleyan's blue line and center ice, Lauren Klein pushed the draw forward. Anna Cosentino kept hustling, picked up the loose puck, and had her initial shot from in tight saved by Grant. However, Cosentino stayed with it and knocked in the rebound.
* Colby will play at University of Southern Maine at 4 p.m. Tuesday. The early start is due to a USM men's hockey game at 7 p.m.