Dec 30, 2018
WATERVILLE, Maine -- Tess Dupre scored the game-tying goal on a breakaway and Cierra San Roman stopped 36 shots for the Colby College women's hockey team in a 1-1 non-conference overtime tie with Lake Forest (Ill.) College on Sunday.
The Mules are 3-2-3 overall, while the Foresters move to 6-3-3. Lake Forest won 20 games a year ago.
* After skating to a 0-0 tie after 20 minutes, Lake Forest scored first with some good pressure on Colby in its own zone. Sydney Simone, who started the sequence by missing on a breakaway chance, scored at 9:44. Annie Dalton pushed a pass back to Jordan Trapp, who immediately gave the puck back to Dalton near the right boards. Dalton, with a good eye, saw Simone going toward the goal and pushed a nice pass across to allow Simone to tip the puck in the goal.
* Colby's goal also involved a nice pass from Anna Cosentino to Tess Dupre to create a breakaway chance. Cosentino (pictured) whipped a pass up the middle to Dupre just as she was closing in on Lake Forest's blue line. Dupre then showed patience on the breakaway, making the goalie commit, and then going to her backhand for the goal at 18:34.
* The Foresters had the best opportunities in the final 11 minutes of regulation. Makenzie Kamm had a one-timer in front that forced Cierra San Roman to make a difficult pad save with 10:20 left in the third period. About a minute later, Lexi Morgan came upon a loose puck and was denied in close by San Roman. Lake Forest also had a power play with 4:34 left in regulation.
By the numbers
* San Roman made 13 saves in the third period and five in overtime. She raised her season save percentage to .939.
* Lake Forest goalie Jacque Rogers also played well with 28 saves. She had 11 stops in the third period.
* The two teams combined to go 0-for-5 on the power play.
* Colby has a big NESCAC weekend with two home games against Wesleyan University. The first is Friday at 7 p.m. at Alfond Rink.
* The Foresters continue their Maine trip with a 3 p.m. game Monday at Bowdoin College.