Mar 11, 2018
CLINTON, N.Y. -- Kendall Smith finished with three goals and the 14th-ranked Colby College women's lacrosse team went 8-for-12 in free-position shots in a 12-3 victory over 13th-ranked William Smith College on Saturday at Hamilton College.
The Mules moved to 1-2 overall and will continue to face a tough schedule with a 1 p.m. home game Saturday against 12th-ranked Tufts University.
By the numbers
* Smith went 3-for-4 on free-position scores, while first-year Grace Langmuir scored both of her goals on free-position shots. Langmuir, who also had three draw controls, had four goals in two weekend games.
* Grace Crowell had one goal, one assist, and five draw controls. Gwen Geisler (pictured) also had one goal and one assist. Sasha Fritts, Kelsey Bowen, Bridget Horwood, Kate Burkett, and Robyn Pirie also tallied.
* Senior All-American defender Jackie Brokaw had her first collegiate point with an assist. She also had two caused turnovers and two ground balls.
* Colby defender Kayla Luparello capped off a big weekend with three caused turnovers and three ground balls. She had three caused turnovers and two ground balls in Saturday's loss to 17th-ranked Hamilton.
* Mule goaltender Izzy Scribano made six saves.
* While the Mules went 8-for-12 in free-position shots, the Herons were 1-for-9.
* Colby scored the first five goals of the game to take control early. Bowen and Fritts each scored on free-position shots in the first 4:19. Pirie scored from Brokaw, while Geisler tallied off a pass from Banks for a 4-0 margin.
* Smith scored the first of her three free-position goals for a 5-0 lead with 17:30 left in the first half. Langmuir and Horwood scored on free positions to help the Mules take a 7-2 halftime lead.
* Smith scored her second goal and Crowell tallied unassisted to give the Mules a 9-2 margin.
* The Herons scored with 14:17 left to make it 9-3, but the Mules received goals from Langmuir, Burkett, and Smith to close out the game.