Sep 22, 2017
WATERVILLE, Maine -- Colby College's Paige Hanssen tied a 17-year-old school record with 22 kills in a three-set match in a tight 3-0 loss to Bates College in NESCAC volleyball Friday night.
Taylor Stafford-Smith finished with 13 kills and 11 defensive digs for the Bobcats.
The Bobcats improve to 4-5 overall and 1-2 in the conference, while the Mules drop to 2-6 and 0-3 in league.
Bates won by sets scores of 26-24, 26-24, 25-21.
By the numbers
* Hanssen tied Amanda Cuiffo, who had 22 kills for the Mules against Hamilton College in 2000.
* Elizabeth Middlebrook (pictured) added 13 kills and 10 digs for the Mules. Nicole Petherbridge had seven kills, Erin Maidman finished with 18 digs, and Molly Manuel dished 21 assists.
* Stafford-Smith, at 6-foot, was part of the height advantage the Bobcats had over Colby. Angel Echipue, a 6-foot-2 middle hitter, added 10 kills and a match-high six blocks. Claire Naughton, another 6-foot player, added eight kills.
* Jacqueline Forney finished with 30 assists and a pair of blocks for the Bobcats. Gabi Eustache added 18 digs.
* The Mules had a set point with a 24-23 lead in the opening set, but Bates scored the final three points to pull out the victory. Echipue had a kill for point 25 and Ruby Lightbourn closed out the set with an ace.
* Colby trailed 18-14 only to battle back and tie the second set at 24-24. Stafford-Smith had a kill for the 25th point.
* The third set was tied 17-17 before Naughton had three kills and Stafford-Smith two to lead the Bobcats.
Next on the schedule
Colby heads to University of Southern Maine for two matches Saturday. The Mules face Rhode Island College at 2 p.m. and then play the host school at 4 p.m.