NORTHAMPTON, Mass. – Paige Hanssen ripped 22 kills and setter Emily Moslener finished with 33 assists for the Colby College volleyball team in a 3-1 win over the host school at the Smith College Invitational on Friday night.
* Colby won by set scores of 22-25, 25-14, 25-9, 25-21.
* Smith (9-15 overall) darted out to a 4-0 lead in the second set, but the Mules (4-13) settled down and used a 15-2 run to take a 15-6 lead.
* Colby led 7-1 in the third set and was up 14-8 when the Mules used an 11-1 run to end the set.
* After a tight start to the fourth set, Colby pulled away for a 15-9 lead at one point. Smith chipped away at the margin and only trailed 21-19 before Colby scored four of the next six points.
By the numbers
* Hanssen added six service aces and five digs to go along with her match-high 22 kills. Moslener (pictured) tied for the team lead in digs (16) and added three aces. The Mules had 14-4 margin in aces.
* Elizabeth Middlebrook also played well with 10 kills, a .333 attack percentage, and 13 digs. Nicole Petherbridge and Kacie Wrean both had five kills. Petherbridge hit .364 and Wrean finished with a .308 attack percentage.
* Kate Wincek added five aces and four kills, while Erin Maidman had 16 digs for the Mules.
Next on the schedule
The Mules play Wheaton College on Saturday at 11 a.m. and then face Bridgewater State in a 1 p.m. match at the tourney.