Sep 06, 2017
WATERVILLE, Maine -- Colby College's Nicole Petherbridge had nine kills and five service aces, but Maine Maritime Academy used a scoring run to close out the fifth set in a 3-2 non-conference win over the Mules.
Maine Maritime Academy scored the final seven points of the fifth set in Colby's home opener at Wadsworth Gymnasium.
The Mariners improve to 2-2 overall, while the Mules were playing their season opener.
- Maine Maritime won by match scores of 25-23, 14-25, 25-17, 23-25, 15-12.
- With the match tied 8-8 in the fifth set, the Mules used a 4-0 scoring run to take a 12-8 margin. The Mariners had three straight kills to end the final set, with two from Alexa Cacacie and one by Jessica D'Auria.
- Colby took a 4-1 lead to start the fifth set and led 8-6 before the Mariners tied the match at 8-8.
- The Mules sent the match to a fifth set after the Mariners used a 4-0 scoring run to tie the set at 21-21. With the score 23-23, Colby scored the final two points.
- After losing 25-14 in the second set, the Mariners opened up a 21-13 lead on the way to winning the third set.
By The Numbers
- Petherbridge had a fine .320 hitting percentage with just one attack error and nine kills. She also had a match-high five aces and two blocks.
- Colby's Paige Hanssen added 11 kills, 13 digs, and three aces. Erin Maidman added 21 digs and Kacie Wrean had five kills
- The Mariners' D'Auria had a game-high 14 kills, seven defensive digs, and four service aces. Cacacie finished with 11 kills, while Maryellyn Musselman had six kills and a match-high five blocks.
- MMA setter Sydney Adams finished with 33 assists, nine digs, six kills, and three blocks. Maria Perez had 22 digs.
- Colby will play a non-conference match against Amherst at Emerson College on Saturday at 1 p.m. The Mules face Emerson at 3 p.m.