Oct 26, 2018
WATERVILLE, Maine -- Colby College's three seniors all came up with big performances as the Mules won the first two sets on the way to a 3-1 victory over Trinity College in NESCAC volleyball Friday night at Wadsworth Gymnasium.
The Mules won by set scores of 25-20, 25-23, 21-25, 25-22.
By the numbers
* Mule seniors Paige Hanssen (19 kills), Molly Manuel (33 assists), and Erin Maidman (21 defensive digs) led the way.
* Hanssen hit .311 for the match, added 10 digs, three blocks, three assists, and two service aces. Maidman contributed three aces.
* Nicole Petherbridge added eight kills and hit a solid .250 for the match for Colby. Anita Kirschenbaum and Elizabeth Middlebrook both had five kills, while Natalie Simonton had four kills, three aces, and three blocks.
* Rachel Underwood had 10 kills and 13 digs to lead Trinity (13-9 overall, 2-7 NESCAC). Colette Scheffers added nine kills and 14 digs, while Hanna Engstrom had seven kills and an attack percentage of .400.
* The Mules had six aces in the opening set, two each by Claire Wilson (pictured), Maidman, and Middlebrook.
* Hanssen had seven kills in the second set to push Colby's lead to 2-0.
* After losing the third set, the Mules came out strong and led 15-8 at one point. The Bantams battled hard to get back in the set and finally tied things up at 20-20. With the Mules leading 23-21, possibly the longest point of the match ended with a Hanssen kill to make it 24-21.
* Colby closes out the regular season with a 1 p.m. match with Amherst College on Senior Day.
* Trinity heads to Bates College for a 2 p.m. Saturday match.