Apr 10, 2018
WATERVILLE, Maine -- The Colby College baseball team exploded for nine runs in innings three to five and had 15 total hits in a 13-1 win over Thomas College in the second of three games between the two local rivals on Tuesday night.
The Mules (4-11 overall) took a 7-2 win over the Terriers (2-16) in Florida on March 26. The two teams meet again at Thomas on Thursday, April 19, at 4 p.m.
By the numbers
* First-year shortstop Andrew Russell had two hits, scored twice, drove in two runs, and walked to lead Colby's offense. Matt Treveloni remained red-hot with two hits, two RBI, and one run scored. Treveloni leads the NESCAC in batting average (.457), with the second place hitter at .431. Russell has his average up to .340.
* William Wessman, now hitting .317 on the season, added two hits and drove in three runs. Ben Coleman finished with three runs, a hit, and an RBI for the Mules. Tyler Mulberry scored twice and had two walks, while Matt Mitchell had one hit and plated two runs.
* Ryan Jurgiewich had one hit and drove in the Thomas run in the second inning. Alex Curtis singled and scored for the Terriers. Darren Kelly had one hit and walked.
* The two teams combined to use 14 pitchers in the game, including nine by Thomas. Alex Wieder started and pitched the first three innings for the Mules. Dan Schoenfeld allowed just one hit over innings four and five to earn his first win of the season. Patrick Carbone, Will Cohen, and Wessman also threw for Colby.
* The Mules scored three runs in the third inning to go ahead for good. After Coleman walked with one out, Russell doubled to left field to bring in Colby's first run. Treveloni followed with a walk and both runners moved to third on a passed ball. Wessman came up with a triple to right field to make it 3-0.
* Colby had two hits and were helped out by two Thomas errors in the fourth inning. Coleman, Russell, Wessman, and Phillips had RBI hits in the inning. Wessman and Russell both had a sacrifice fly RBI, while Wessman had a single and Coleman reached by error. Garcia (pictured) came in on a Thomas error.
* The Mules added two more runs in the fifth to go ahead 9-1. Tyler Mulberry walked and stole second base. After Thomas got the second out, Mulberry advanced to third on an infield single by Coleman, who promptly stole second. Russell walked to load the bases and Treveloni followed with a two-run single.
* Colby added a lone run in the seventh inning after Russell singled to right center. Keenan Iuliano doubled in Russell with the 10th run.
* The Mules closed out the scoring with three runs in the eighth. Tommy McGee, Andrew Sterup, and Cam Drew had consecutive singles to load the bases. Mitchell singled to right field to bring in McGee and Sterup, while Mitchell later scored on a fielder's choice.
* Thomas had its lone run in the second inning when Curtis led off with a single and later advanced to second base on a wild pitch. Jurgiewic singled to right center to bring in Curtis.