Sep 15, 2018
WATERVILLE, Maine -- Despite 108 yards rushing from Colby College's Jake Schwern, two-time defending NESCAC champion Trinity College took a 35-0 season-opening win in the first game for head coach Jack Cosgrove with the Mules.
Max Chipouras had 173 yards rushing and Jonathan Girard finished with 166 receiving yards to lead Trinity at Harold Alfond Stadium on Saturday.
* Chipouras scored three touchdowns, including a 64-yard run in the second quarter, and Girard had the other two scores. The big play of the game came on a 97-yard pass play from Jordan Vazzano to Girard to give the Bantams a 14-0 lead.
* The Bantams went ahead 7-0 with 9:19 left in the opening quarter on a 4-yard scoring run from Chipouras. The drive went 94 yards on eight plays, with the big play coming on a fake punt. Ian McDonald had a 19-yard pass completion to Dakota Foster to keep Trinity's drive alive.
* Colby's defense was on the field for a good portion of the opening quarter. The Mules appeared to be in a good position after first-year punter Moises Celaya (pictured right) had a 42-yard boot go out at the Trinity 3-yard line. However, the Bantams needed just one play to go 97 yards for a 14-0 lead. Vazzano lofted a pass down the left sideline and caught Giard on the run at about midfield.
* A turnover by the Mules set up Trinity's third touchdown from the Colby 34-yard line. Vazzano's 18-yard touchdown to Girard came on a third-and-nine play with 14:48 left in the second quarter.
* Chipouras carried the ball seven times on the Bantams' fourth score. On a fourth-and-goal, Chipouras scored from 2 yards out with 5:52 left to halftime.
* Chipouras, who had his 173 yards on just 15 carries, had a 64-yard scoring run with 3:11 left to halftime.
By the numbers
* Jake Schwern led Colby's offense with 108 yards rushing.
* Vazzano, a transfer from University of Rhode Island, finished with 210 yards passing. Spencer Lockwood added 84 yards on 13 carries in his collegiate debut for the Bantams (1-0 overall, 1-0 NESCAC). Meanwhile, kicker Eric Sachse made all five of his extra points.
* Celaya had a terrific punting debut for the Mules, booting eight kicks for a 38.3-yard average. He had three punts inside the 20-yard line.
* Trinity's Robert Levine had a game-high 12 tackles in his first collegiate game, while Brian Casagrande made nine stops. Charles Barsella made seven tackles for the Bantams.
* Colby (0-1, 0-1 NESCAC) received seven tackles apiece from Marcus Bullard and CJ Hassan (pictured left).
* Colby will play at Williams College next Saturday at 1 p.m.
* The Bantams play their home opener against Bates College at 1 p.m. on Saturday.