Oct 13, 2018
AMHERST, Mass. -- The Colby College football team had 326 yards of total offense, but Amherst College scored on three big plays on the way to a 35-9 victory in NESCAC play Saturday.
By the numbers
* Colby first-year quarterback Matt Hersch was 28-for-47 for 212 yards, one touchdown, and no interceptions. The Mules did not turn the ball over in the game.
* Senior captain Jake Schwern rushed 16 times for 79 yards (4.9 per rush) and caught five balls for 46 yards.
* Andrew DeFranco caught seven passes for 42 yards and a touchdown. Rory Glavin had three catches for 32 yards for Colby.
* Biafra Okoronkwo led Amherst's ground game with 15 rushes for 185 yards.
* Carson Katen (pictured) was first among Colby tacklers with eight stops. Jack Colleran had five tackles and Dylan James had his first collegiate interception.
* First-year punter Moises Celaya continued to play well after averaging 37.6 yards on five punts. He had one punt go inside the 20-yard line.
* Okoronkwo turned a 0-0 game into Amherst's first score with a 70-yard touchdown run with 6:40 to play in the first quarter.
* The Mammoths (5-0) led 28-0 when the Mules scored on the first collegiate field goal by Walter Thilly, who nailed a 33-yard kick with 18 seconds to halftime.
* After Amherst made it 35-3, the Mules scored on a 7-yard scoring pass from Hersch to DeFranco with 7:25 left in the third quarter.
* Colby (0-5) will play its fourth home game of the season next Saturday against Hamilton College at 1 p.m. The Continentals took a 62-27 win at home against Bowdoin College on Saturday.