Posted: Jan 19, 2019
WATERVILLE, Maine -- The Colby College men's basketball team battled to a draw on the boards against taller Bowdoin College, but the Polar Bears scored the final four points of the game in a 72-69 NESCAC win Saturday.
David Reynolds had an assist on Hugh O'Neil's basket with 38 seconds left and then added two free throws with 17 seconds remaining for the Polar Bears.
By the numbers
* Reynolds had a game-high 24 points on 8-for-15 shooting, 4-of-7 from the foul line, and 4-for-4 from the free-throw line. He also pulled down eight rebounds and had two assists.
* Jack Simonds finished with 18 points and four boards for the Polar Bears (10-5 overall, 2-2 NESCAC). Zavier Rucker had nine points and four assists, Sam Grad scored eight points on 3-for-3 shooting, and Stephen Ferraro scored six and dished four assists.
* Sam Jefferson had a team-high 17 points for the Mules (12-5, 1-3 NESCAC). Noah Tyson (pictured) added 14 points, a team-high 10 rebounds, and four assists.
* Colby's Matt Hanna dished a game-high five assists and scored 11, Wallace Tucker had 10 points, and Sean Gilmore had six points and six rebounds.
* Colby, despite a huge height advantage for Bowdoin, did tie the Polar Bears at 39-39 on the boards. Bowdoin defended the 3-point shot well and held the Mules to 32.5 percent shooting.
* Both teams passed the ball well, with Bowdoin recording 18 assists on 26 made field goals and Colby with 17 assists on 25 buckets.
* The Polar Bears darted out to a 7-0 lead and led for much of the game. Bowdoin led by as much as nine points in the first half before settling for a 40-37 halftime lead.
* Colby's biggest lead was two points with 17:08 left in the second half.
* The Mules, who played without starter Ronan Schwarz due to injury, led 67-66 when Hanna drilled a 3-point shot with 3:14 to play. Both teams had two opportunities after Hanna's basket without scoring.
* Rucker hit a tough off-balance jumper with 1:34 to play for a 68-67 Bowdoin lead. However, Jefferson went 2-of-2 from the foul line to put Colby back in front with 54 seconds remaining.
* O'Neil scored off the assist from Reynolds with 38 seconds to play. The Mules had some bad luck when Tyson's 3-point shot with 17 seconds remaining went in-and-out.
* After Reynolds hit his two free throws for the final points, Colby called timeout with 11 seconds to play. Colby looked for the tying 3-point shot, but could not get a shot off.
* Colby entertains Husson University at 7 p.m. Tuesday.