Nov 24, 2018
SANTA CRUZ, Calif. -- The Colby College men's basketball team moved to a perfect 4-0 record after scoring 51 points in the second half on the way to an 83-62 win against Dominican University on the first day of the University of Santa Cruz Tournament on Saturday.
The Mules (4-0 overall) take on host UC-Santa Cruz in the championship game at 3 p.m. (EST) Sunday at Kaiser Permanente Arena.
By the numbers
* Sam Jefferson finished with a game-high 20 points on 4-for-7 3-point shooting, four rebounds, and three steals.
* Wallace Tucker added 16 points, including 2-for-2 from long range, and a game-high six assists with no turnovers for the Mules. Sean Gilmore (pictured) and Ronan Schwarz both had 11 points, nine rebounds, and two blocked shots. Matt Hanna finished with nine points, six rebounds, and three assists.
* Noah Tyson pulled down seven rebounds and dished four assists for Colby. Ethan Schlager saw his first action of the season and contributed seven points and four rebounds.
* Arrin Westbrook was the lone Dominican (0-3 overall) player in double figures with 10 points.
* The Mules had a 55-31 rebounding advantage and had assists on 22 of their 29 field goals.
* Both teams got off to a sluggish start and it was just 3-3 after the opening three minutes of the first half.
* With the Mules up 20-18, Colby used a 12-2 run the rest of the half to take a 32-21 lead at intermission.
* The Mules used a 16-6 run to start the second half and go up 48-27 with 16 minutes to play. Colby did a terrific job of keeping the lead above 15 points the rest of the way.