Nov 29, 2018
BRUNSWICK, Maine -- The Colby College men's basketball team started strong against rival Bowdoin College and never faltered in an 83-70 victory in non-conference play Thursday night.
The Mules, who improve to 5-1 overall, and Polar Bears (2-3) will play the NESCAC game at Colby on January 19.
"I thought our defensive focus early was key. We were able to generate stops and flow in to offense and created some quality looks," Colby head coach Damien Strahorn said. "I thought we sustained good play on both ends until the last portion of the game."
By the numbers
* Sam Jefferson earned Maine Division III Player of the Week honors during the day and then scored 27 points on 9-for-18 shooting for Colby. He was 4-for-10 from 3-point range and made all five of his free throws while adding three assists.
* Noah Tyson finished with a double-double at 15 points and 11 rebounds. He was 3-of-6 for long range and hit 4-of-4 from the foul line. Ronan Schwarz (pictured) added 12 points for the Mules.
* Sean Gilmore had five of his six assists in the first half and contributed 10 points and five rebounds for Colby. Matt Hanna had seven points and four assists, while Wallace Tucker also had seven points and pulled down six rebounds.
* While Bowdoin had the size advantage, the Polar Bears only had a 44-41 rebounding advantage. The Mules committed just nine turnovers and had a 17-7 advantage in assists.
"Bowdoin's size and presence to the offensive glass was something we discussed and I thought Noah Tyson was fantastic in finishing possessions," Strahorn said. "Great game all-around by him tonight."
* The Mules had early leads of 14-4 and 23-10 before taking a 42-29 halftime lead.
* Colby led by as much as 25 points on two occasions in the second half, the second when Tucker hit two free throws with 8:56 remaining for a 72-47 margin.
* Colby will entertain Colby-Sawyer College at 4 p.m. Saturday.