Posted: Nov 18, 2018
WATERVILLE, Maine -- Noah Tyson went 8-for-11 from 3-point range and Matt Hanna was an assist shy of a triple-double for the Colby College men's basketball team in a 115-79 win over University of Southern Maine on Sunday at Wadsworth Gymnasium.
The Mules (2-0 overall) won the three-team tourney after beating University of Maine at Presque Isle on Friday night. The Huskies dropped to 2-1 overall.
By the numbers
* Tyson, making a major impact already as a first-year, had a game-high 24 points, pulled down seven rebounds, had two assists, two steals, and two blocked shots. Tyson had 21 points on 7-for-10 shooting from long range and six rebounds in the first half.
* Hanna finished with 16 points on 7-for-12 shooting, 10 rebounds, nine assists, and three steals. All 10 of the rebounds came on the defensive end.
* Sam Jefferson was 5-for-8 from 3-point range and 7-for-10 from the field for 21 points and three assists. Ronan Schwarz (pictured) added 17 points on 6-for-11 shooting, while Alex Dorion and Devin Davis both had nine points on three 3-point shots apiece. Ty Williams came off the bench with seven assists.
* Jayvon Pitts-Young led the Huskies with 22 points and five assists, while Christian McCue had 18 points and three assists.
* USM had a nice game off the bench from Ian Nagle, who had 11 points on 4-for-5 shooting and pulled down eight rebounds.
* Colby shot 57.7 percent (41-for-71) from the field and 57.5 percent (23-of-40) from 3-point range.
* The Mules, after scoring 109 against UMPI, are averaging 112 points per game.
* The Mules scored the first 10 points of the game to take control early. Tyson nailed a 3-point shot to push the lead to 17-4.
* USM did settle down and cut the Colby lead to 28-20 with 10:12 to halftime. However, the Mules remained hot from long range and ended the half with a 35-16 run.
* The Huskies got as close as 18 points in the second half with 16:16 to play. Colby extended the lead to a game-high 42 points over the next six minutes.