Posted: Jan 20, 2018
WATERVILLE, Maine -- The Colby College men's hockey team scored three goals in the first period and goaltender Sean Lawrence stopped 35 shots in a 4-2 win over Williams College in NESCAC play Saturday at Alfond Rink.
The Mules improve to 8-8 overall and 7-5 in the conference, while the Ephs drop to 10-6 and 6-4. Both Colby and Williams came into the contest after losing games Friday night.
* Colby went ahead for good on Kienan Scott's fifth goal of the season from Phil Klitirinos and Michael Decker. Klitirinos, near the right boards, had a backhand pass to Decker, who immediately passed the puck low to Scott. After pulling out just a bit to get a better angle, Scott had a hard wrist shot for the score.
* Colby went up 2-0 at 12:48 of the opening period on Zack Hale's second of the year. Spencer Hewson made a short pass to Andrew Reis (pictured), whose shot from the left point was tipped in by Hale.
* J.P. Schuhlen was in the right place when he poked home a rebound off a shot from Klitirinos with just 15 seconds left in the first period. Klitirinos had his 13th assist on the season and John Rourke had the secondary assist.
* The Ephs cut the margin to 3-1 after two periods on Nick Van Belle's seventh of the season. He took a pass from Will Somers and used his speed to break in front for a backhand score with 2:03 to play.
* Williams cut the lead to 3-2 with just 4:51 left in the game on Joe Welch's third of the year. Welch went strong to the net and poked in the puck after a rebound from a Tyler Scott shot. Daniel Wolfenden had the secondary assist.
* Cam MacDonald closed out the game with an empty net goal from center ice after a face-off win from Michael Rudolf with 41 seconds remaining.
By the numbers
* Lawrence had 15 of his 35 saves in the second period. Williams goalie Michael Pinios stopped 30 shots.
* Williams had just one power play in the game, while the Mules were 1-for-5.