Jan 06, 2018
WATERVILLE, Maine -- The 14th-ranked Colby College men's hockey team scored all four goals in the third period and Sean Lawrence stopped 40 shots in a 4-1 win over Amherst College on Saturday at Alfond Rink.
The Mules moved to 7-4 overall and 6-2 in the NESCAC, while Amherst fell to 5-4-3 and lost for the first time in league play at 3-1-3. Colby moved into first place in the league standings.
* The Mammoths had a shot advantage in each period and scored the lone goal of the opening two periods. Amherst won a puck behind the net to start the play. Tyler Granara's shot from near the right boards appeared to deflect off a Colby defensemen for the goal. P.J. Conlon and Nick Bondra had assists.
* The Mules started the third period on the power play and scored just 26 seconds into play on triangle passing from first-years Spencer Hewson, Justin Grillo, and goal scorer Joe Schuler. Hewson pushed a pass low to Grillo, who one-timed his pass to Schuler in front for the score.
* Michael Decker scored the game-winning goal on a shot from the point. Amherst goaltender Connor Girard may have been screened on the shot. Grillo and Nick O'Connor had assists.
* The Mules won a face-off and a battle near the boards to set up the insurance goal. Hewson won a puck near the boards to John Rourke, who skated in and faked a shot. He pushed a pass across to Mario Benicky (pictured) for his seventh goal of the season.
* Decker won a puck near the corner to set up Colby's empty net goal. Decker pushed the puck out to Phil Klitirinos near his own blue line. Klitirinos saw Kienan Scott skating toward center ice for the easy breakaway score.
By the numbers
* Lawrence had 17 of his 40 saves in the third period when Amherst was trying for the equalizer. Lawrence leads the NESCAC in save percentage (.953), goals against average (1.56), and winning percentage (.778, 7-2).
* Girard had 14 of his 22 saves for Amherst in the opening period.
* Colby had a 27-23 edge in face-off wins, including solid days for Michael Rudolf (11-7) and O'Connor (9-5). John Festa (8-3) and P.J. Conlon (9-5) led the Mammoths.