Posted: Nov 16, 2018
WATERVILLE, Maine -- On a night when the Colby College men's hockey team raised three banners commemorating last year's NESCAC title and trip to the NCAA Frozen Four, the Mules fell 4-1 to Middlebury College in the season opener for both teams.
Mule captains Thomas Stahlhuth and Nick O'Connor joined Colby President David Greene in the banner ceremony before the game.
* After a scoreless opening period, Owen Powers scored at 14:35 to put Middlebury (1-0 overall, 1-0 NESCAC) up for good. The Panthers went more than 20 seconds in keeping the puck in Colby's zone and were rewarded when Powers scored on a turnaround shot from in front. Mitchell Allen and Cole Joslin were credited with assists.
* The Mules had a defensive lapse that led directly to Middlebury's second goal exactly two minutes later. Parsons scored into a wide open net after receiving passes from Tyler Capello and Joslin.
* Parsons stole a Colby clearing pass out of its own zone to help the Panthers go up 3-0 at 16:32 of the third period. Parsons pushed a pass to Brendan Dawson, who ripped a high shot.
* The Mules scored just 39 seconds later to make it interesting at 3-1. First-year Michael Thomas won the puck off the boards and pushed a pass to Justin Grillo, who hit a shot that was saved. However, captain Nick O'Connor was right in front to knock the puck in the goal.
* The Mules went with empty net at 17:34, but Emack Bentley intercepted a pass and scored from past Colby's blue line at 17:51.
By the numbers
* Middlebury goaltender Brian Ketchabaw stopped 26 shots, including 12 in the opening period. Andrew Tucci made 31 saves for the Mules.
* The Panthers had a 34-27 shot advantage, but neither team scored on the power play in five overall chances.