Posted: Nov 25, 2018
WATERVILLE, Maine -- The Colby College men's hockey team won the Bowdoin/Colby Face-Off Classic after skating to a 1-1 overtime tie with Wentworth Institute of Technology at Alfond Rink Sunday.
The Mules (1-2-1 overall), who took a 4-3 overtime win over Potsdam State in Saturday's opening day of the tourney, was the only school to go unbeaten (1-0-1) on the weekend. Potsdam and Bowdoin both had 1-1 records and Wentworth finished 0-1-1. Potsdam took a 6-4 victory over Bowdoin in the first game of the day Sunday.
* The Leopards (3-4-4 overall) took a 1-0 lead in the opening period. Georgy Gorodetsky flicked a pass up the middle to Adam Tracey, who skated over the blue line and dished a cross to Tim Shea, Jr. at the left post for the score.
* Colby's goal started when first-year Michael Thomas made a nice steal in his own end. He immediately crossed the puck over to Justin Grillo, who headed up ice with some momentum. Grillo started going left as he crossed the Wentworth blue line and dropped a pass back to Thomas Stahlhuth (pictured). The senior co-captain scored his first of the season to tie it at 1-1 in the second period.
* Grillo had the best chance to score in overtime after hitting the post less than one minute into play.
By the numbers
* Colby goaltender Andrew Tucci stopped 29 shots, including 13 in the second period.
* Leopard goaltender Thomas Draper also played well with 24 saves, 10 coming in the second period.
* The teams combined for just five penalties and neither managed a power play goal.
* The Mules will play host to Bowdoin this Saturday at 7 p.m.