Posted: Dec 01, 2018
Dustin Satloff '15 photos
WATERVILLE, Maine -- The Colby College men's hockey team had a goal waved off with 3.3 seconds left in overtime and settled for a 3-3 tie with rival Bowdoin College in NESCAC men's hockey Saturday at a packed Alfond Rink.
The Mules are 1-2-2 overall and 0-2-1 in the league, while the Polar Bears moved to 2-3-1 overall and 1-1-1in the conference.
* Mule first-year Logan Clarke rushed up the right side of the ice on the final opportunity for the Mules, blowing past a Bowdoin player near center ice and then another player just inside the blue line. He had a tough angle while taking the shot and it was deflected away out in front, where Grillo put it in the back of the net. However, the referee on the left side lost sight of the puck and blew his whistle just before Grillo scored.
* After an early Bowdoin goal in the third period to go up 2-1, Grillo scored on a rising wrist shot that went under the cross bar and bounced back out. The referee quickly signaled that it was a goal with 9:09 to play. Michael Thomas and senior co-captain Thomas Stahlhuth had assists on the play.
* Senior co-captain Nick O'Connor put the Mules up 3-2 with 7:50 left in regulation. Grillo pushed at a puck that was deflected out to Clarke, who shot the puck. Polar Bear goaltender Erik Wurman made a nice save, but the puck went to Wurman's right where O'Connor was there for his third goal.
* The Polar Bears had a nice passing sequence to tie the game at 3-3 with 4:29 left in the third period. Ryan Heath pushed a pass to Sam Topham at the left point. Topham smacked a perfect pass across the ice to Cody Todesco at the right post for a one-timer.
* The Polar Bears went up 1-0 with 11:32 left in the first period when sophomore Collin Van der Veen scored near the right post after a nice save by Mule goaltender Andrew Tucci. Michael Brown had a shot from the slot that Tucci was able to deflect away, but Van der Veen was at the right post for the score. Patrick Ault also had an assist.
* The Mules tied the game at 1-1 in the second period when Mikel Morrissey scored his third of the season. The sequence started when Spencer Hewson barely kept the puck inside the blue line to avoid an offside call. Hewson pushed a pass to his right to Kienan Scott, who ripped a shot that was deflected away. Morrissey was starting to come around the goal and his shot deflected off goalie Wurman and barely trickled over the goal line.
* Todesco scored on the power play early in the third period to put Bowdoin up 2-1. Ault had a puck bounce directly to him off a rebound, but his shot was saved by Tucci. However, Todesco was at the left post and shot the puck into the net. Topham also had an assist.
By the numbers
* The Mules had a 44-19 shot advantage, holding the Polar Bears to just three shots in the third period and overtime.
* Wurman finished with 41 saves, including eight in overtime. Andrew Tucci stopped 16 shots for the Mules.
* The Mules also had a huge face-off night, winning 53 of the 77 draws. O'Connor won 18 face-offs, Hewson had 12, and Morrissey finished with eight.