Posted: Dec 04, 2018
WATERVILLE, Maine -- Andrew Tucci recorded his first collegiate shutout and Zack Hale broke a scoreless tie at 10:07 of the third period in Colby College's 2-0 win over Saint Anselm College in non-conference men's hockey Tuesday at Alfond Rink.
The Mules are unbeaten in their last four games in moving to 2-2-2 overall. The Hawks drop to 7-6 overall.
* The two goaltenders combined for most of the highlights in the opening two periods. Tucci had 17 of his 33 saves in the second period to keep the game scoreless. Meanwhile, Colin Soucy had 12 of his 31 saves in the second period.
* Some hustle along the boards by Mike Morrissey and J.P. Schuhlen led to Hale's goal. Schuhlen was able to push a puck into the corner along the right boards to Morrissey, who won the puck from a defenseman and quickly centered it to Hale. The first shot by Hale was saved by Soucy, but Hale was able to hack at the puck as he dove for the rebound to his left.
* After both teams called a timeout with 25.1 seconds remaining, senior co-captain Nick O'Connor (pictured) won a face-off to the right of Tucci. O'Connor won 16 of his 22 face-offs. The Mules were able to clear the puck out where Brendan Murphy pushed a pass up the right side to O'Connor, who skated over the blue line and found the back of the net in the empty goal.
By the numbers
* The Mules won 37 of the 55 face-offs. Murphy went 9-for-13 and Spencer Hewson was 8-for-12.
* While the shot total was even at 33, both teams combined to go 0-for-8 on the power play.