Posted: Jan 15, 2019
BIDDEFORD, Maine -- The Colby College men's hockey team cut the margin to one goal in the third period, but 13th-ranked University of New England pulled away for a 4-1 non-conference win Tuesday.
The game was a rematch of last year's NCAA Division III Tournament opening round contest. The Mules won that game and went on to the NCAA Frozen Four.
* Colby trailed 1-0 after one period when UNE's Aaron Aragon scored his eighth of the season at 6:34. The goal was the lone six-on-six score for the Nor'easters (11-4-1 overall).
* UNE scored its first of two short-handed goals at 5:21 of the second period.
* Colby cut the lead to 2-1 at 2:49 of the third period on J.P. Schuhlen's fourth goal of the season. Mule defensemen Billy Overby and Austen Halpin had assists.
* Ryan Bloom scored two straight goals, one on the power play at 5:13 and then UNE's second short-handed score at 8:39.
By the numbers
* The Nor'easters had an 11-4 shot advantage in the first period, but Colby led in shots by a 17-7 margin in the second period.
* Mack Burton (pictured), starting in his first collegiate game, stopped 25 shots for Colby.