Mar 15, 2019
WATERVILLE, Maine -- The Colby College men's lacrosse team took an 11-9 lead over third-ranked Tufts University into the fourth quarter, but the Jumbos scored the lone four goals of the quarter to pull out a 13-11 NESCAC victory Friday.
The Jumbos improve to 6-0 overall and 2-0 in the league, while the Mules drop to 2-3 and 0-3 in the league.
By the numbers
* Colton Michel led all scorers with six points on five goals and one assist for the Mules. CJ Hassan added three goals, while Charlie Lynch scored once and had a game-high three assists.
* Bret Miller had one goal and one assist for Colby. Don Vivian added two assists and Jack Rickards had one goal.
* Danny Murphy had three goals and two assists for the Jumbos, the defending NESCAC champions. Bryce Adam and Ben Connelly both had one goal and two assists, while Garrett Samuelson had one goal and one assist.
* Kyle Helfrich was 16-for-22 on face-offs and scooped 11 ground balls for the Jumbos. Stewart Stockdale and Jack Donohue both had two ground balls and one caused turnover.
* Will Dodge finished with four ground balls and two caused turnovers for the Mules. Michel also had two caused turnovers, while Vivian had three ground balls.
* Mason Pollack stopped 10 shots for Tufts. C.J. Layton (pictured) made 15 saves in net for Colby.
* The teams traded goals to start the game, but the Jumbos scored three goals in the final 2:24 of the opening quarter to take a 4-1 lead.
* Tufts extended the lead to 6-1 with two goals in the opening 1:17 of the second quarter. Colby, though, settled down and scored five of the next seven goals to trail just 8-6 at halftime.
* The Mules scored the final three goals of the second quarter and the opening four goals of the third quarter for a 7-0 scoring run to go up 10-8 with 4:55 remaining.
* Shanks scored with 3:32 left in the third quarter for Tufts to break the scoring run. Michel added his fifth goal of the game with 1:26 remaining for an 11-9 margin heading into the fourth quarter.
* A fog started rolling in at the start of the fourth quarter and got worse the rest of the way. Tufts did not seem to mind, with Murphy scoring with 11;08 left.
* The Mules still held the lead as the game wore on, but Sadler scored unassisted to tie the game at 11-11 with 6:21 remaining. Waldbaum tallied off an assist from Connelly with 3:30 to play for the game-winning goal. Shanks added the final goal just 33 seconds later.
* Colby will entertain Connecticut College next Saturday at 1 p.m. at Harold Alfond Stadium.