Sep 29, 2018
WATERVILLE, Maine -- Cam Clouse scored 10:32 into the second half to tie the game at 1-1 and the Colby College men's soccer team kept Middlebury College off the scoreboard the rest of the way in a 1-1 overtime tie in NESCAC play Saturday.
The Mules move to 3-3-2 overall and 1-2-1 in the conference, while Middlebury is 3-2-2 overall and 2-2-1 in the league. The contest also was the Michael P. Russell Memorial Cup game. The cup was established in memory of Michael Russell, who graduated from Middlebury in 1998. He passed away in 2011 at age 36. Russell had siblings attend both Middlebury and Colby.
* Daniel O'Grady scored at 21:48 of the opening half on a penalty kick to give the Panthers the lead, but Colby held firm defensively from that point despite a 16-8 shot advantage for Middlebury.
* Clouse scored his team-high fourth goal of the season to tie the game off an assist from Lucas Pereira.
By the numbers
* Dan Carlson made 10 saves, including five stops in the opening half. Matthew Hyer stopped three shots for the Panthers.
* Colby created some nice chances in overtime and had four of its eight shots in the extra time.
* The Panthers had a 13-2 margin in corner kicks, including two in the final overtime session.
Colby will play at Husson University on Tuesday at 7 p.m.