Posted: Mar 25, 2019
CLERMONT, Fla. -- The Colby College softball team scored five runs in the final two innings to pull out an 8-7 victory over Lewis & Clark College in Florida on Monday.
The Mules (1-4 overall) fell 11-2 in five innings against Kalamazoo College in the other game Monday.
The victory was the first for head coach Terren Allen at Colby. Colby seniors (pictured) Holly Lallis, Paige Hartnett, Wiley Holton, and Emily Dougherty all played a major role in the win.
Colby/Lewis & Clark game highlights
* Hartnett, Lallis, Paige Bober, Dougherty, and Ashley Ketchum all had two hits. Hartnett also had two runs, including the game-winning run in the seventh inning after leading off with a single.
* Bober had a double among her two hits, scored a run, and drove in one run. Ketchum also walked and scored a run, while Dougherty and Lallis both scored one run.
* Colby right-hander Holton went the distance to earn the pitching win and also helped her cause with a hit.
* The Mules scored two runs in the first inning, with Ketchum leading off with a single. Carly Swartz reached on an error and Lolo Niemiec was hit by a pitch to load the bases. Dougherty and Bober both followed up with RBI singles.
* Colby added a lone run in the fourth when Bober led off with a double, took third on Holton's single, and scored on Hartnett's single.
* Trailing 6-3 after five innings, the Mules scored four runs in the top of the sixth. Hartnett led off with a walk, Lallis singled, and Ketchum followed with another single to load the bases. Swartz reached on an error to bring in the first run. Niemiec had a sacrifice bunt to score the second run. After a single by Dougherty loaded the bases again, Bober reached on a fielder's choice. Colby scored the final two runs on an error on a ball hit by Hailey Rohall.
* Hartnett singled to start the seventh inning and was pushed to second on a sacrifice bunt by Lallis. Ketchum walked and Swartz got on by a fielder's choice to set up a unusual final run. Niemiec hit a ball to the shortstop and Ketchum baited the fielder to make a tag. While that was happening, Hartnett raced home before the tag was made.
* Holton worked a strong bottom of the seventh inning to close out the game.
* The game was closer than the final score indicates, with the Mules leaving eight runners stranded in five innings.
* Ketchum kept up her hot hitting with two more hits, an RBI, and a stolen base. Swartz had the other RBI for the Mules.
* Niemiec, Dougherty, Lallis, and Lucie Cunningham also had hits.
* The Mules loaded up the bases in the fourth inning and received RBI singles from Ketchum to bring in Rohall and Swartz in bringing in Cunningham.