Posted: Mar 23, 2019
CLERMONT, Fla. -- The Colby College softball team opened the season in Florida with two setbacks, but the Mules did put runners on base in both games Saturday.
The Mules had nine hits in a 6-1 season-opening loss to Wellesley College. Colby led 4-1 in the first three innings of a 6-4 setback to University of Minnesota at Morris in the second game.
Wellesley/Colby game highlights
* The Mules trailed 3-0 heading into the seventh inning in a game where Colby left nine runners stranded.
* First-year Paige Bober went 3-for-3 for the Mules and Carly Swartz had two hits and scored a run. Ashley Ketchum had one hit and drove in the run, while the Mules had one hit apiece from Lolo Niemiec, Hailey Rohall, and Holly Lallis.
* Ketchum had a double to bring in Swartz in the bottom of the seventh inning.
* The Mules were strong defensively in the game with no errors.
* The hitting continued in the second game as Colby scored three times in the first inning. Ketchum, Swartz, and Niemiec led off the game with singles. Niemiec brought in Ketchum with her hit. Emily Dougherty and Bober followed with RBI groundouts to bring in the other runs.
* The Mules added their fourth run in the fourth inning thanks to an error by Minnesota-Morris.
* Ketchum finished with three hits, two runs, and a stolen base. Swartz added two more hits along with Lallis. Niemiec, Bober, and Maeve Devlin all had one hit.