Jan 04, 2019
MEDFORD, Mass. -- The Colby College women's basketball team gave fourth-ranked and unbeaten Tufts University a battle before the Jumbos pulled away for a 79-62 win in the NESCAC opener for both teams Friday.
By the numbers
* Keagan Dunbar finished with 14 points and six rebounds for the Mules (5-6 overall, 0-1 NESCAC).
* The Mules had 33 points off their bench, including 11 from Jackie Albanese on 3-for-6 shooting from 3-point range. Paige Russell (pictured) was 2-for-3 from long range for 10 points and added two steals. Starter Ainsley Burns had eight points, Carly Christofori finished with seven points, and Jane MacKerron led all rebounders with 10.
* Erica DeCandido led Tufts (12-0, 1-0) with 18 points and four steals.
* The Jumbos led 27-16 after one quarter, but the Mules outscored Tufts over the next two quarters by a 37-32 margin to cut the lead to 59-53 entering the final 10 minutes.
* Burns converted a 3-point play on the first possession of the third quarter to cut the lead to 41-37. With the score 44-40, Tufts used an 11-0 scoring run to pull away.
* The Mules refused to give up and cut the margin to 55-51 thanks to seven points from Russell. The Jumbos took a 59-53 lead into the fourth quarter.
* Colby plays a key NESCAC game at Bates College on Saturday at 3 p.m.