Posted: Jan 15, 2019
WATERVILLE, Maine -- Colby College goaltenders Nina Prunster and Cierra San Roman combined for 33 saves in helping the Mules to a 3-1 non-conference victory over University of Massachusetts at Boston at Alfond Rink on Tuesday.
The Mules are 8-3-3 overall, while the Beacons drop to 6-9-2.
* Tess Dupre scored her fourth goal of the season at 9:26 of the opening period to give the Mules the lead for good. Sadie Kuhn (pictured), at the left point, pushed a cross over to Emily van der Veen. The first-year defender ripped a shot and the rebound was knocked in by Dupre with plenty of traffic in front of the goal. The assist for van der Veen was her first collegiate point.
* Lauren Klein scored her sixth of the season at 1:25 of the second period for what turned out to be the game-winning goal. Anna Cosentino, who had her ninth assist of the season, was knocked down on the play but she was able to get her pass to Klein for the goal.
* The Beacons made it interesting when Casey Adimey scored her first goal of the season at 9:23 of the second period.
* Colleen Donoghue scored her third goal of the year on a nice individual effort. With the Beacons' goal empty, Donoghue blocked a shot and took after the puck up the right boards. Her long shot was good into the empty net with just seven seconds to play.
By the numbers
* Prunster made 15 saves while playing 29 minutes, 13 seconds. San Roman took over and stopped 18 shots the rest of the way.
* UMass-Boston goaltender Alyssa DePippo made 23 saves while allowing just the two goals.
* The Beacons had a 34-26 shot advantage, with 30 shots in the final two periods.
* Colby will entertain Amherst College in a NESCAC game Friday at 7 p.m.