Posted: Feb 16, 2019
WATERVILLE, Maine -- Despite the first goal of the game from Colby College's Elizabeth Brashich, Saint Anselm College scored the next three in a 3-1 non-conference women's hockey victory Saturday.
The Mules (12-9-3 overall) earned the sixth seed in the NESCAC playoffs and will play at third-seeded Hamilton College next Saturday. The Hawks improve to 23-3-1 overall. The NESCAC pairings will be officially announced Sunday.
* Brashich scored at 8:29 for her second goal of the season. Stephanie Lane took the initial shot and had it saved by goalie Maddie Scavotto, Cassidy Holzer took the next shot and it was saved again, and Brashich banged in the second rebound of the sequence.
* The Hawks tied the game just 3:15 later on Haley Marshall's first goal of the season. Amanda Conger put a puck to the left corner and Katy Meehan moved quickly to get there first. Meehan pushed a pass back to Marshall at the left point and her shot deflected in to tie the contest.
* Gabby Monaco started the play on the second Saint Anselm goal. She pushed a pass down low to Jamie Gottwald, who went around the net and tried to stuff the puck in the net. The rebound went to Erin Meyers for the goal.
* Madison Sprague gave the Hawks an insurance goal on the power play at 3:12 of the second period. Megan Klaus pushed a pass across to Marshall at the left point. Marshall's long shot was saved, but the rebound went directly to Sprague at the right post.
By the numbers
* Scavotto improved her record to 12-2-1 after making 15 of her 31 saves in the third period.
* Colby senior Katie Fenton made the start and stopped 12 shots in the opening period. Cierra San Roman finished the final two periods and made 15 saves.
* The Mules had a 33-17 advantage in face-offs, including Tess Dupre winning 10 of her 11 draws. Lane went 7-2 and Carly Thomas was 9-of-13 for Colby.