Brunswick, Maine - The Colby College Women's Ice Hockey team scored with 30.5 seconds left in overtime to defeat rival Bowdoin College by a score of 2-1. This marks the first time since 2001-02 that the Mules started 3-0 when that team won their first five games of the season.
- "Bowdoin played a great game tonight and challenged us all over the ice," said head coach Holley Tyng. "I am extremely proud of how we competed and stuck to the game plan. Nina was unbelievable in net, and those were two really hard earned points."
Highlights for the Mules:
- Colby took the lead 1-0 at 7:59 in the second period when Anna Cosentino (photo inset) was able to find the puck in front of Bowdoin goaltender Dani Marquez and knock it in.
- Mckinley Karpa (1 goal, assist) got the breakaway and scored the game-winning goal at 4:30 in overtime from a Tess Dupre pass.
- The Mules remain undefeated.
Highlights for the Polar Bears:
- Angelina Joyce (four points in a two game sweep over Wesleyan last weekend) rifled the puck past Colby goaltender Nina Prunster off the rebound and tied the game 1-1 at 15:37.
- Karpa (headline photo) has now tallied 2 goals and 2 assists on the season.
- Colby goaltender made 28 saves throughout 64 minutes of play.
- Both teams were unable to convert on the power play, with Colby serving 10 minutes on 5 infractions, and Bowdoin serving 6 minutes on 3 infractions.
- The Mules led in shots on goal, tallying 33 to Bowdoin's 29.
- The Mules host the Polar Bears in the second part of the home and home on Saturday at 3:00pm.
(photo courtesy of Alec Chapman '21)