Oct 17, 2018
FARMINGTON, Maine -- Sarah Lofstrom had two goals and an assist and Colby College teammate Alessandra Marciano scored her first two collegiate goals in a 9-1 victory over University of Maine at Farmington in non-conference women's soccer Wednesday.
The Mules improve to 5-6-1 overall, while the Beavers drop to 3-12.
* Lofstrom scored the first two goals for Colby at 7:37 off an assist from Juliette Nadeau and unassisted at 12:28.
* Katherine Gillespie scored her second goal of the season at 22:37 to give the Mules a three-goal margin.
* The Beavers tried to make a game of it at 35:56 on McKenna Brodeur's goal from Ashley Gleason.
* Marciano scored her first of the game with just 2:04 remaining in the opening half for a 4-1 lead at the break. Her tough angle shot from the left side went over the goalkeeper's head and into the right corner of the goal.
* The Mules scored twice in the opening 2:56 of the second half to go up 6-1. After Charlotte White scored unassisted at 46:02, Mule back Lindsay Ayers (pictured) scored her first collegiate goal on a long shot off a pass from Nadeau.
* Colby scored three goals in a span of about 10 minutes to close out the contest. Mannon Frykholm scored into a wide open net off a header assist from Lofstrom. Hallie Schwartzman and Marciano added unassisted goals at 79:58 and 81:01.
By the numbers
* Colby had a 36-5 shot advantage and a 7-1 margin in corner kicks.
* Shannon Gray stopped three shots for the Mules, while Beaver goalkeeper Callie Hammer made 12 saves.
* The Mules will honor their seniors Saturday before the 11 a.m. NESCAC game with Hamilton College.