Oct 06, 2018
WATERVILLE, Maine -- Both teams had eight shots on the day, but Wesleyan University scored one goal in each half in a 2-0 victory over Colby College in NESCAC women's soccer Saturday.
By the numbers
* Shannon Gray stopped three shots for the Mules and Wesleyan had six saves from Zoe Cassels-Brown.
* While the shots were tied, the Cardinals had an 8-1 advantage in corner kicks.
* The Cardinals' game-winning goal was a nice passing sequence, starting with a cross from the left by Kayla O'Brien to Julia Meehan, who one-timed the pass from the right side to the center of the goal. Gianna Argento won the jump with a Colby defender and headed the ball in for a 1-0 lead at 25:46.
* Colby had a good chance to tie the game before the end of the half. Juliette Nadeau won a ball with some hustle and tied to loft the ball over the head of Cassels-Brown, who leaped to make the save.
* The second Wesleyan goal started off a deep throw-in the Colby zone. A Colby defender headed the ball away, but the clear went directly to Liz Young for the score. Young's shot from the right side went high into the upper left corner of the goal.
Colby is back home Sunday for a 1:30 p.m. game with Bowdoin College in NESCAC play.