Sep 15, 2018
WILLIAMSTOWN, Mass. -- The Colby College women's soccer team came to play and gave top-ranked Williams College a serious battle in a 1-0 setback in NESCAC play on Saturday.
Despite playing on the road against the defending national champions, the Mules' defense of Katie Senechal, Olivia Siegel, Sofia Oliveira, and Lindsay Ayers played tough in front of goalies Dani Lonati and Shannon Gray. Lonati made one save in the first half and Gray stopped six shots in the final 45 minutes.
* Sydney Jones scored the lone goal of the game at 10:12 of the opening half. Jones won a ball, raced toward the penalty box, cut left around Lonati, and scored unassisted.
* Gray made a fine diving stop in the final five minutes of the game to keep Colby within one goal.
By the numbers
* Oliveira had two of Colby's seven shots in the game. Jones led all players with three shots on goal.
* Colby was especially aggressive in the second half, drawing 10 of its 14 fouls.
* The Mules have the week off before playing at Trinity College next Saturday at 11 a.m. Colby plays at Connecticut College next Sunday at 11:30 a.m.
Photos by Ashley Conti