Oct 07, 2017
WATERVILLE, Maine -- Colby College volleyball was in every set early against Hamilton College in a 3-0 setback in NESCAC play Saturday.
* The Continentals (8-5 overall, 4-3 NESCAC) won by set scores of 25-23, 25-13, 25-18.
* The first set was tight the entire way until Hamilton pulled away and led 23-18. The Mules ran off five straight points, including four off the serve of senior Emily Moslener (pictured) to tie the set at 23-23. Rankin had a kill for point 24 and a Colby attack error closed out the set.
* Colby had a 5-4 lead before Hamilton took control of the second set. With the score 14-10, the Continentals ran off 10 straight points for a 24-10 margin.
* The third set was close early on and the Mules last led 8-7. With the Continentals leading 14-12, Hamilton had eight straight points to take control. Dorothy Poucher was serving during the run.
By the numbers
* Giuliana Rankin had nine kills and teammate Courtney Brown had eight kills for Hamilton.
* Christine Zizzi had a match-high five service aces for Hamilton and added seven digs. Kyndal Burdin led in assists with 23, Nikki Matsuoka had a team-high nine digs, and Margaret O'Brien finished with a pair of blocks.
* Paige Hanssen led Colby with nine kills, two aces, and two blocks. Elizabeth Middlebrook added six kills, Moslener had four aces, and Erin Maidman had 10 digs.
Next on the schedule
* The Mules will play their final two regular season home matches next weekend. Colby meets Wesleyan University on Friday at 8 p.m. and then honor their seniors against Connecticut College on Saturday at 2 p.m.
* Hamilton plays host to Amherst College on Friday at 7 p.m. and then Trinity at 1 p.m. Saturday.