Oct 05, 2018
WILLIAMSTOWN, Mass. -- Elizabeth Middlebrook (pictured) had nine kills, 15 defensive digs, and two service aces for Colby College in a 3-1 loss to Williams College on Friday night in NESCAC volleyball.
The Ephs won by set scores of 25-9, 19-25, 25-21, 25-18.
By the numbers
* Paige Hanssen had 12 kills, while Natalie Simonton and Nicole Petherbridge both had five kills. The Mules (5-9 overall, 0-5 NESCAC) had 14 kills in winning the second set.
* Molly Manuel had 27 assists, six digs, and three kills for Colby. Simone Sears and Hanssen both had three bloccks, while Erin Maidman led in digs with 16. Peterbridge added 12 digs for the Mules.
* Erin Denham led Williams (9-7, 3-3 NESCAC) with 12 kills and eight digs.
* The Ephs took command early in the first set and opened up a 12-6 lead. Williams scored 13 of the next 16 points to secure the set.
* The Mules received four kills from Hanssen in opening up a 9-1 lead in the second set. The Ephs battled back and cut the margin to 19-17, but Colby received kills from Hanssen, Simonton, and Petherbridge to pull away.
* Williams was able to keep the lead at four or five points for most of the third set. However, Colby was able to storm back and cut the margin to 23-21 before the Ephs scored the final two points.
* The Mules stayed in the fourth set early, trailing only 9-8 at one point.
* The Mules play another NESCAC match at Hamilton College with a 2 p.m. start Saturday.