Sep 21, 2018
LEWISTON, Maine -- Paige Hanssen (Earlysville, Va./Computer Science) had a match-high 14 kills for the Colby College volleyball team, but Bates College pulled out a 3-1 victory in New England Small College Athletic Conference play Friday night.
By the numbers
* The Bobcats won by set scores of 23-25, 25-15, 25-18, 25-18.
* Hanssen also had seven defensive digs and three service aces.
* Julia Hutchings (Scarsdale, N.Y.) added 10 kills and six digs for the Mules (3-6 overall, 0-3 NESCAC). Nicole Petherbridge (Tewksbury, Mass./Mathematical Science) added seven kills, while Elizabeth Middlebrook (pictured, Ridgefield, Conn./Economics) had 12 digs, six kills, and two aces.
* Mule setter Molly Manuel (Andover, Mass./Mathematical Science and Economics) finished with 32 assists and six digs. Erin Maidman (Ventura Calif./Philosophy and Math) had 17 digs.
* Colby came ready to play and hit .343 in the opening set to earn the 25-23 victory. The Mules had a 14-9 lead before Bates stormed back to go ahead 20-19. However, Colby scored five straight points to go up 24-20. The Bobcats bounced back with three straight points, but Hanssen had a kill to get Colby to 25.
* After the Bobcats led the entire way in the second set, the Mules trailed 14-9 in the all-important third set. Colby, though, fought back and tied the set at 18-18. Bates took control after that with a 7-0 run to close out the set.
* Looking to tie the match at two sets apiece, the Mules led 15-12 in the fourth set. The Bobcats got going again by winning 13 of the final 16 points.
The Mules will play a non-conference match against Brandeis University on Saturday at 1 p.m. at Bates.